Friday 29 May 2015

Did Feminism pass YOU by?

I don't necessarily consider myself a feminist, but I appreciate I have a good job, I bought my first house by myself and I have holidayed and travelled alone many times. All of these things would not have been possible for an average women not that many years ago.
However this week I have been shocked by the number of my friends who seem to define themselves by the man, or lack thereof, in their lives.
Regular readers will know I have been ill for a long time but whilst that is shit at least I have a husband. Apparently nothing can be worse that not having a partner.
Another friend has regularly started posting pictures on social media of herself looking loving into the eyes of her new beau. That's great and I am glad she is happy but what else is happening in her life? To read her media feed absolutely nothing.
I do also have friends who are strong women who go it alone. I am sure they would love to be in a relationship and have someone to share life's journey with, but they are not defined by it.
I could continue to expand and rant about how pointless life is unless you have given birth. I am one of the lucky ones. I don't have/want children. I can't imagine how awful it must feel to want children and not have them but is it the end of the world? Why can't life continue without children?
Is it really a physical/mental hole in your life or is it the fact the media, friends and family pressurise you into the fact you should be having children and you should be having them now?

Look at your friends feeds on social media and look at the difference between men and women? How many men complain about their lack of relationship status? How many fathers post nothing but child related posts?
There is a huge difference between the sexes and I don't think it's changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cover campaign