Friday 1 January 2016

New Year - why not to change now

Today is the first day of the new year. A time for resolutions, a time to reflect on last year's failures and a time to promise to be a better person.

But why?

Many studies (I don't know if this is true, but most statistics are made up) have shown you are far more likely to break a resolution made on 1st January than one made in the middle of May. Why? Because those made at random times in the year are made because you want to make a change and not because you think you should. How many of us make a resolution on the 1st January just to have something to say when someone asks us, 'Made any resolutions this year?'.

I for one am looking back over 2015 and thinking "wow that was a year". There were problems but those problems were overcome. The true support and love shown to me during the year made me appreciate what I have and how lucky I am to be where I am. There are people who had far more to deal with than I had and they approached it with better grace than I did. The year has also highlighted the number of people out there who really don't appreciate what they have. Maybe you have to go through shit to appreciate that things aren't as shit as they could be.
I have lost 'friends' and I have made new ones. I hope the ones I have lost through my choice never were true friends. I am sure I have burnt bridges that in the years to come I will wish I hadn't but we live and learn. And that is the point. While we live we should always strive to learn and develop. There are people who didn't make it through the year and for that I am sorry and my thoughts go out to their families.

And so to 2016, if I learn as much as I did in 2015 I will be a wealthy woman. I just hope the lessons are a little less painful in their learning.

Remember 2015 with fondness. Think of the things you will take from in and the things you have left behind and build upon that for the year ahead.

And have any of you made any resolutions?  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cover campaign