Wednesday 9 October 2013

It’s NaNo Time again


Only a few days into October and already the ionosphere is buzzing with talk of NaNoWriMo. For the uninitiated this is where over 300,000 people sign up to try and write a novel in one month. Yes that’s right. The plan is to write at least 50,000 words in 30 days.

I am not sure whether I am more excited this year because I did it last year and know what to expect, or whether I have more connection this year that are taking part but it definitely feels like there is more excitement from everyone this year.

The Kent NaNoWriMo work on facebook seems to be more active than the Oxford group were last year and scribophile is alive with groups and people talking about it. I have even managed to convince a friend of mine, who’s has been talking about writing a book for years, to give it a go.

I am approaching NaNo in a similar vein to last year. I had a list of my main characters, an idea of the start of the story and a list of chapters with one or two sentences explaining what should happen in them. Once I started writing I got to chapter three and in walked a character I never even knew about. He was amazing and helped the story move along at a much better pace. It’s for this reason that I won’t be planning in detail as I don’t want to stifle my characters. I do know there are people who will plan to the smallest detail, and good luck to them, but I have always liked surprises.

So are you interested? If so why not sign up? http://nanowrimo.org/

If you’re already signed up let me know how you do it. Are you a planner or not?

Have you had successes from the things you have written for NaNo?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cover campaign