Sunday, 8 September 2013

Marketing – Aaaaaaaaaargh!

I have finished my Open University course and have been producing some short stories which I felt where good enough to let the reading public view. Those of you who have read this blog before will remember my previous blogs on e-publishing How to and the next steps where I talked about turning those stories into an ebook and the simplicity of using Kindle Direct Publishing.

I have now had the book on the market for two months and have so far sold fourteen copies and generated one review.

So what did I need to do? Market it!

All the guides are telling me I need more reviews so that people can find it. To generate these reviews I did a free give away day. This did generate a further thirty six sales but so far no new reviews and no new sales.

I then looked at what I was doing wrong and it is all about marketing. Set up a social platform. I have a twitter account @jojenner40 and I am connected with about 1500 people. They are all writers. This is great for advice on how to write but it doesn’t necessarily generate sales. I also now find out I need to engage on twitter and that I should only spend 10% of my time promoting my book, the rest of the time I should be just chatting, getting to know people and letting them get to know me. The problem is I keep forgetting to do this.

I enjoy writing and won’t give it up but the more I look at self promoting and self publishing the more I am convinced that if you do this as a hobby that is all it will ever be, a hobby. Promoting a book is almost a full time job in itself.

I really see the value of the old fashioned publishing route and once the novel is ready I will be looking into that far more than I thought I would before I tried to self publish.

 

Do you have tips?

Have you been able to promote effectively and do a ‘Day Job’?

Do the publishing houses take promotion away from you or do you still spend hours building a platform?

1 comment:

  1. Wait, you have a book and I didn't know? Seriously, why haven't you sent it to me? Send it my way, I'll read it and promise to put reviews on Amazon and Goodreads! If karma on my blog works out, we can spotlight you. (I never promise that before reading a book, as I've had to turn some people away and it breaks my heart.) But seriously, I'll read it and review for sure!

    I'm glad you posted this. You've got my email, shoot me a link or something!

    ReplyDelete

Cover campaign